Tuesday, 6 July 2010

An Exhilarating And Exhausting First Day Teaching

We woke up at 5:30 today: the crazy Khmer culture of waking up at sunrise when the cockrel crows. It was a great sunrise to eat our muesli to though.

As we were having breakfast we saw groups and groups of children heading over to the school even at 6 in the morning, it was going to be a busy day! So many headed over there, that when we went over at 7:30, we had to start half an hour early to keep the 170 children occupied.

At first we sang GingGangGooli to keep their attention and bring the people that weren't there over. We had them all doing the UmPa Umpa at the end. Then they were split into 4 groups of size and age.

We had a great first few sessions playing ball with the small ones and doing games like over the head and through the legs. The most amusing group was the youngest ones who followed everything we did and so we played a sort of HokiKoki with them in a huge circle. By 1030, with
the third group it was getting very hot and volley ball became a sweaty affair, even more so when the temperature was up at 38'C with the oldest guys getting really into the games of Volleyball. It was hard work, but great to see them enjoying it so much.

We had a welcomed lunch break where us sports guys had a quick shower in the stream to wash off the orange dust and sweat.

At 1:30 we went back to the school, with all the children eagerly returning too. We had the translators telling the story of the three little pigs and billy goats gruff, I was the big bad wolf and the troll, it involved me having wolf wiskers drawn on my face with the dust and rolling around in it when I had to pretend to die - the children loved it!

After that we had an attempt (successful the second time) at building a human pyramid. Then we had a game of Volleyball against the Cambodian translators, which we won, despite their bragging that they were amazing. Then it was a need for another shower and a chill out as
the school day finished.

One of the nicest things that happened was Ben, Andy and I went to get an iced coffee from the "cafe", while we were drinking, and massively enjoying our drinks - digging the bottom out of the glass. The owner came over and asked if we were the teachers, when we said we were, he bought another jug of coffee. It makes you feel really good to know that they are so appreciative of us being here and the kids enjoy school so much.

One of the most disgusting things that happened however was seeing some pigs getting rather sexuallly rowdy right below our platform!

Anyway, a fantastic day for us and the kids I think, very tiring and looking forward to dinner and bed now. Can't wait to get back to the school tomorrow too - a great expedition so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment